Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Motivation, Process, Ideas

Hello Blog :)

The last few days I haven't written much. Monday I did quite a bit, but yesterday I worked all day, then played video games, then talked to my friend from Canada until midnight. Today, I was more sick than I was yesterday, regretted staying up, and slept away almost the entire morning, then had to take my sister to a cello lesson.

In other words, I've been very productive. It doesn't help that I'm a bit stuck with my novel, as usual. A recurring problem for writers, I think, one solved by the whole “apply the seat of your pants to the seat of the chair” concept. I think this might just be something we writers struggle with for our entire lives. It might be the problem of having a narrative. Art is abstract but writing has to have something concrete to it in order to be viable for an audience. I mean you can spend your entire career writing long passages from your stream of conscious, but I'm not going to read it.

I think you have to believe in your writing. Which sounds really corny and stuff. But the people who churn out 6,000 words per day in NaNoWriMo. How the heck do they do it? Not by not caring, that's for sure. I mean, you can accuse them of writing crap, but I'm of two opinions about that. First, they're writing. Are you writing? And second, when you write, you get better. That's how it works.

I remember when I was younger, I never really thought “this is good writing” or “this is bad writing.” Maybe there's a kind of innocence that helps, a kind of ignorance. I mean, you need to know if you're writing crap... but still. Ugh, I'm going in circles, aren't I?

I don't really know, see? I bet you can tell, haha. This is my journey. These are my ideas, these are the things I am thinking about. And there's much more to find out.

See you on the weekend some time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment